If you don’t know what a Parrothead is, then you aren’t one. And there’s nothing wrong with that, it just means that you aren’t a Jimmy Buffet fan.
Last night his songs kept popping up on my iPod, even though it was on shuffle. I took it as some sort of cosmic sign that a JB blog entry was called for.
So, I decided to list my fave JB lyrics. Here they are, in no particular order. I hope that you’ll comment back with your own.
1. Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day for a year, and I’ll be fine. “Tin Cup Chalice,” A1A
2 Lava come down soft and hot. You better lava me now or lava me not. “Volcano’” Volcano
3. I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes, big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer, well good God almighty which way do I steer? “Cheeseburger in Paradise,” Son of a Son of a Sailor
4. There’s a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning. “Fruitcakes,” Fruitcakes
5. And that’s when I first saw the bear. He was a Kodiak lookin’ fella `bout nineteen feet tall. “God’s Own Drunk,” Living and Dying in 3/4 Time
6. It’s time to close the shutters. It’s time to go inside. In a week I’ll be in gay Paris; That’s a mighty long airplane ride. “Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season,” AIA
7. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it. That’s my life and all that I’ve got.
Call me a liar, call me a writer…Believe me or not. “That’s My Story and I’m Sticking to It.” Off to See the Lizard
So there’s a sample off the top of my head. I know I’ve left out tons. Enjoy the videos.